Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Fabrizio Plessi






Fabrizio Plessi for me is one of those artists that when you see his work for the first time you say to yourself “I want to make work like that.” Of course that would not be the reaction for every on looker of his work, my opinions are biased in that he works with materials and concepts that I have worked with all along in making my are and though I would not want to incorporate my work in an exactness to that of Fabrizio Plessi, he has combined technology and nature in a beautiful harmony. His works are excellent in both execution and concept and I feel that I will be looking to his work quite a bit more If I so choose to work with nature again in the near future.

I have a parallel of history with Plessi, and I have no allusions of grandeur that I am only in my 20’s and feel that I have only begun to scrape the surface of what my art means to me, let a lone what I want it to say to others, all of my research is an attempt to get a better grasp on all of these issues. I sincerely feel that Plessi has it figured out. As a video artist with traditional art school training, his work balances primal elements (air, water, fire) and materials (stone and wood) with new technology to arouse irrational, elemental emotions.

Reading about Plessi’s work helps me to further my investigation as to why I currently have had such an affinity with the monitor as a choice of material. Plessi treats the video monitor as inner space. He makes it clear that the image of water Art (1990), exists inside the video monitor. The video monitor seems to generate it from its own inner space. That is, the rigid box contains the video tube the way the body contains the psyche that creates fluid art.



Harper, Glenn, and Twylene Moyer. Conversations on Sculpture. Hamilton, N. J.: Isc, 2007. Print.

Kuspit, Donald. "The Water Of Life." Artnet Magazine. 4 Apr. 2008. Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment